About Eklutna Inc.
Incorporated in 1972 under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, Eklutna, Inc. has played a vital role in the economic landscape of the Anchorage area. It is an ANCSA Corporation, organized under and bound by the Alaska Corporations Code and the provisions of ANCSA.
Eklutna is the largest private landowner in Anchorage, owning 90,000 acres within the Municipality of Anchorage, including Eagle River, Birchwood, Chugiak, Peters Creek and Eklutna. Additionally, Eklutna has significant holdings in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, with an approximate 67,000 additional acres due to be conveyed from the Bureau of Land Management. As a land developer, we own some of the last remaining prime commercial, industrial and residential real estate within the Municipality of Anchorage.
Today, the Corporation represents more than 170 shareholders and manages a variety of investments, including commercial properties and residential developments.
ALASKA NATIVE CLAIMS SETTLEMENT ACT
Passed in 1971, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) extinguished Native land claims to almost all of Alaska in exchange for about one-ninth of the state’s land plus $962.5 million in compensation. By conveying Native land titles to 12 regional and 200 local village corporations chartered under Alaska state law, ANCSA changed the relationship between Natives and the land from one of co-ownership of shared lands to one of corporate shareholding; i.e., land ownership was based on a corporate model, and governmental entities, including traditional or IRA “tribal” governments.
Through culture and unity, our economic strength provides a lasting legacy of opportunities and resources for all generations.
- Honor our history and culture
- Protect our land and assets
- Grow and sustain our businesses
- Maintain strong community relationships and professional image
- Ensure financial stability
- Practice sound financial and business management
- Invest our resources knowledgeably and responsibly while respecting our culture
- Use diversification to balance risk from changes in market conditions
- Cultivate professional, committed Board and Staff to strengthen our performance
- Continue to develop dividend reserve fund and other Shareholder benefits
- Encourage education, skill development, and employment for our Shareholders and Descendants